Never do Maths in public

Embarrassment: When a 9 year girl asks you to subtract 4321-1234 in less than five seconds, without using a calculator.

Train journeys are always interesting as we meet up different kinds of people during those few hours. We meet men, women and sometimes fusion of both. Recently, when I was returning from Delhi, I met a small girl called sahiti. She was playing with her little sister near my berth and I wanted to join them for some fun. I called them and demonstrated a petty magic trick to stimulate their energy levels but after seeing the trick their expression appeared as if they were the ones who taught me magic. So, I asked the big girl sahiti…. “How’s the magic?”

Sahiti: “huh! If you call that magic, I will ask you one question”
Me: Oh! Go ahead…ask
I thought it would be some simple question or riddle, after all who would expect ramanujan calculations from a kid….so I was ready.
Sahiti: Think of any four numbers between 1-9.
Me: Okay… (thought 1,2,3,4)
Sahiti: Now reverse them...
Me: Fine… (4321)
Sahiti: Now subtract both… the greater number minus the smaller number
Me: Ok!! (I was taking out my cell to calculate the answer)
Sahiti: What are you doing?
Me (with an uncanny expression): calculating!!
Sahiti: What? Can’t you subtract without a calculator??
Me: C’mon…it’s a 4 digit number, how can you expect me to calculate so fast?
Sahiti: No way, don’t use the calculator…

Her question was no less than shoaib akthar’s bouncer. I was completely stumped, above that all the co-passengers looked at me with a tongue in cheek expression. Honestly, I couldn’t defend myself. It reminded me of those tele-brands advertisements where small kids do additions, subtractions in seconds after purchasing the “genius guide to mathematics” kit. (Oh! God, why didn’t I buy that kit before) I badly looked-for an escape plan...so I said… “u know what sahiti, I think I already know this puzzle…u better ask my sister” . The most evil part was when she allowed my sister to use a calculator for the same question.

Me (with a uncompromising look): this is not fair…how can you allow her to use a calculator..
Sahiti: hellooo...she’s a girl and you are a boy!

As a fact, she means that girls are less intelligent than boys. ;) If you don't accept this fact, look at the picture below :D


Now, here comes a question for you:

If i take 10 seconds to solve a problem and my sister takes 15 seconds, how much time will it take if we solve the problem together?

Answer: 15 seconds.

( I prefer not to break my head when someone else is trying to resolve the same problem on the other hand, even if it takes 5 seconds more)


Comments

Unknown said…
haahahaaa
Anonymous said…
Bad! Bad! Bad!
What's so bad about it?
You.
Why?
For misinterpreting the kid's answer.
What?
Ya..she only meant becoz yer Sis belonged to the same species she can be more nice to her. :P

I ws worried abt yer existence.. yer old blog link ain't working ryt?
Hmm..newayz gud to see ya here.
Anonymous said…
@ron: yeah..blog address changed...no more energy creation..time for some peacful music and dreamz now ;)

simple fact- we are growing old !!
Anonymous said…
Hey Pree, nice posts ra. had been many days since i read u r blogspot and i must say , u r posts woke me up from sleeping @ job( and i was thinking they wud put me to sleep). and me feeling sooo nice after reading u r posts. n thanx for mentioning my name in u r frnds list( though me wonders y u put mine in there, since u have such a big issue with me). Though i think saying that girls r not smart was not a good move smart-alec
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing.Your blog is nice. I think you should add your blog at www.blogadda.com and let more people discover your blog. It's a great place for Indian bloggers to be in and I am sure it would do wonders for your blog.Keep writing.

Popular Posts